[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Mitch \(WebCob\)" <mitch at webcob dot com>
 To:  "Alan" <junk at alan2 dot com>, "'Johan Bergquist'" <johan dot bergquist at fredab dot se>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Loadbalancing!?!?
 Date:  Thu, 18 Dec 2003 09:36:36 -0800
Alan - sorry to say but you are missing a huge segment of the market.

Getting an AS number and going BGP (and finding providers who will provide
you the services) is a huge overhead many can't afford.

BUT, with some route monitoring through some simple scripts, and connection
failover by managing default routes - or NAT through multiple external
interfaces, one can easily and inexpensively use two feeds from different
providers. With a little more work, you can make your DNS dynamically
include both external IP's and remove the bad one when a provider fails you.

Have done this NUMEROUS times - but due to various supplier and client
concerns it's always been a custom effort - never anything pretty like
monowall.

It does:
- have the ability to use multiple upstream providers
- have the ability to "load balance", though how good this really is, is
questionable - round robin is the easiest, and it's not always balanced
- provide for continued service failover when a provider goes down
automatically.

If you work for someone who has the money to throw at BGP and Cisco, fine -
those of us who can't afford it - or would rather have the satisfaction of
an innovative cost effective solution can continue as we have... doing what
some say doesn't work ;-)

m/