[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Eric Garnice" <eric at number13 dot com>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Packets still forwarded...
 Date:  Thu, 18 Dec 2003 20:30:37 +0100
On 18.12.2003, at 20:13, Eric Garnice wrote:

> I've noticed that if I change a NAT port mapping, packets are
> forwarded to
> both the original destination as well as the new destination until I
> reboot
> m0n0wall.

Did you test with UDP? If so, then that's very well possible and also
unavoidable, as m0n0wall cannot know when an UDP transmission is over,
so the entry in the state and NAT tables will remain for a few minutes
until it times out. You can manually clear these tables on the "Reset
state" page.

> This can be very dangerous.  I do software testing, and need to change

No. Even if NAT failed by redirecting packets that it wasn't supposed
to, it still wouldn't be "dangerous" as the packet filter would take
care of it (if configured properly). Changing a NAT rule does not
change any filter rules, even if a filter rule was initially auto-added
(checkbox on add NAT rule screen).

- Manuel