[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Still Can't Connect
 Date:  Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:01:31 -0700
At 09:02 PM 12/16/2003, Bryan Kohlstedt wrote:
>See, this is where my confusion came in. I've got it working now that I
>was told that I do in fact have to assign the interfaces. Once I assigned
>the lan and wan, I was able to connect via the web interface and
>everything is now working fine. Until I did that, I was unable to connect
>to the webgui to assign a interface to lan/wan.

This is one of those chicken-and-egg deals.  You can't talk to the GUI
until the LAN interface has an IP address, and therefore you can't use the
GUI to assign the address (at least, not the first time).

So, you have to use the console to assign which interface you want to be
the LAN, and the IP address for that interface.  Everything after that you
can do by pointing a browser at the freshly assigned address.

>How can you assign from the webgui? Don't you need to assign a lan
>interface before a connection to the lan nic(webgui) could be made?

Once you can connect to the GUI (see above), on the left-hand navigation
bar you should see "Interfaces (assign)".  Click on the word "assign".

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228