[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Robert Gordon <robert at bordem dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Booting m0n0wall CD via a MS-DOS formatted boot floppy
 Date:  Sat, 20 Dec 2003 17:08:14 GMT
20/12/2003 16:55

I have read existing posts regarding getting m0n0wall running on a
machine which can't boot directly from CD, but they don't have
solutions for what I'm wanting.

I'm not sure if this is even possible but what I'd like to do is be
able to boot from a MS-DOS formatted boot floppy which can then boot
the m0n0wall CD.

I am wanting to avoid use of a hard disk (I want to use the 850MB HDD
which is currently being used for smoothwall in the machine I want to
run m0n0wall on, in another machine), and I also do not want to have
purchase CF readers (I can't afford to buy anything extra,
basically).

I know there is the likes of Smart Boot Manager, but that just takes
over the floppy for itself. I suppose what I need (if something
exists)
is a MS-DOS utility which can boot CDs (MSCDEX isn't any use of
course
as it can't boot CDs, only read them). If such a utility exists, it
would be great - I could boot from the floppy, but also use it to
store
the m0n0wall configuration.

There may be other ways to do this but the key thing here is that I
only want to use the floppy drive and CD-ROM drive and no HDD or CF
card.

I hope someone has a solution.

Thanks,
Robert Gordon