[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Christopher M. Iarocci" <iarocci at eastendsc dot com>
 To:  'mono' <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trafic shaper seems doesn't work as expected
 Date:  Sat, 20 Dec 2003 19:20:00 -0500
Thomas Paumier wrote:

>Hello !
>
>In first, I have read ALL 1400+ emails before posting this one.
>I am a student in computer network administration (2nd level) in France.
>
>I have installed a m0n0-box in a friend's cybercoffee shop. It's a small PC (p2 300,64sd, 2Go hd)
but fits perfectly requirements for the usage we have.
>I want to say that i love your software ! I am pretty experienced with linux -- i know that FreeBSD
is NOT linux, don't bash me ! :p -- from the start and i like "a box for all" policy.

>I connect to internet trought a RP114 wich is in WAN side, customers can play as always,
>but (yes, there's always a "but" :-( ), it seems i don't understand how shaper works.
>
>I have read a reply from M. Manuel Kasper (April, 2) then i have set this rule for testing :
>If=Lan, Proto=FTP, Source=any, Port=FTP(21), Destination = LAN Subnet, Port=FTP(21), Bandwidth=64,
Delay=Nul, Mask=destination.

>But after this a user can still download a file at 90ko/s without any problem (through ftp
protocol) from internet. I'm totally stuck, i don't understand how define rules for traffic shaping
and it's the first goal of my m0n0-box.

>Could you please give me some help ?
>

>Ps : i have read a post from Federico Krum (november, 25) who talked about a manual. If you need
help to make a french translation, i can help you.

I've found exactly the same thing.  Traffic shaping seems to do
nothing.  Not sure how it works, but I set up the same FTP rule, with no
results.  Can anyone shed some light on how it works?  Does it only
limit if something else is trying to use the bandwidth too?  If the
amount of bandwidth you specify a reserved amount, or a maximum amount?

Chris