[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Samuel Graenacher <samuel dot graenacher at ch dot sauter dash bc dot com>
 To:  Thomas Paumier <thomas dot paumier at tiscali dot fr>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Trafic shaper seems doesn't work as expected
 Date:  Sun, 21 Dec 2003 02:39:04 +0100
Hi,
I haven't actually used m0n0wall's traffic shaper yet, but seeing the
rule you used it I *think* I know why it seems to be ignored.
Try setting the Port right after the Source to "any" aswell. I'm
guessing this will work as your problem seems that you assume that
clients initiate ftp connections *from* the ftp ports aswell as *to*
them, which isn't the case usually.
Again, this might not work either, just seemed like an more or less
obvious thing to try.

Good luck.

Sam

Thomas Paumier wrote:
> Hello !
>
> In first, I have read ALL 1400+ emails before posting this one.
> I am a student in computer network administration (2nd level) in France.
>
> I have installed a m0n0-box in a friend's cybercoffee shop. It's a small PC (p2 300,64sd, 2Go hd)
but fits perfectly requirements for the usage we have.
> I want to say that i love your software ! I am pretty experienced with linux -- i know that
FreeBSD is NOT linux, don't bash me ! :p -- from the start and i like "a box for all" policy.

> I connect to internet trought a RP114 wich is in WAN side, customers can play as always,
> but (yes, there's always a "but" :-( ), it seems i don't understand how shaper works.
>
> I have read a reply from M. Manuel Kasper (April, 2) then i have set this rule for testing :
> If=Lan, Proto=FTP, Source=any, Port=FTP(21), Destination = LAN Subnet, Port=FTP(21), Bandwidth=64,
Delay=Nul, Mask=destination.

> But after this a user can still download a file at 90ko/s without any problem (through ftp
protocol) from internet. I'm totally stuck, i don't understand how define rules for traffic shaping
and it's the first goal of my m0n0-box.

> Could you please give me some help ?
>

> Ps : i have read a post from Federico Krum (november, 25) who talked about a manual. If you need
help to make a french translation, i can help you.