[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using LAN DHCP to assign IP addresses in VPN. (Second trial, sorry)
 Date:  Wed, 6 Jul 2005 18:59:27 -0400
On 7/6/05, German dot Martin at rses dot rohde dash schwarz dot com
<German dot Martin at rses dot rohde dash schwarz dot com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a m0n0 running PPTP service to allow external users to connect to
> the LAN, the IP range for VPN is inside LAN network range so internal
> users can ping external ones. The problem is that external users cannot be
> contacted by host name but only by their IP.
>
> We have a Windows 2003 server running DNS and DHCP. If I could, someway,
> get the IP addresses for the VPN clients from the internal DHCP a DNS
> entry would be created and my problem would be solved.
>
> Then my question is if there is (or will be in a future) any chance to get
> the IP address of the VPN clients in m0n0 from the internal DHCP.

Fix your clients so they do register with DNS.  In the TCP/IP
properties on the PPTP connection, add your internal DNS servers, and
check the "Register this connection's addresses in DNS" box.

Or, use your Windows server as your PPTP server and use m0n0wall's
"Redirect incoming PPTP connections to" feature.

-Chris