[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  taharka <res00vl8 at alltel dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPoE and LCP problems
 Date:  Thu, 07 Jul 2005 13:27:38 -0400
Christophe De Coninck wrote:

>>There seems to be a problem with your email program - there are two
>>copies on the list.  One is more than enough unless you have more
>>information to add.
>>
>>Also, a very bad idea to send in your IP and login details - you
>>should ***** them out before sending to public mailing list (because
>>we do not know how many hax0rs read this list, and people having
>>trouble often revert to "allow all from any to any" for testing which
>>will let the hax0rs in).
>>
>>To your query: Does it work using other devices/applications in place
>>of m0n0? ie: have you had it working with another device previously?
>>What makes you think that it is LCP causing the problem (I believe my
>>ISP doesn't respond to LCP either, but m0n0 works flawlessly here).
>>
>>What (if any) other changes to your system did you make between
>>removing the device that worked and replacing it with m0n0?
>>
>>Sorry, but the log entry you sent in just showed the connection
>>dropped and what appeared to be a successful reconnect - we could not
>>see what happened before the connection dropped, nor what happened
>>afterwards.
>>
>>--cheers
>>gm
>>

>Hey,
>there was a small problem with the emailprovider so I'm sorry for having
>it posted twice, I did forgot to put *** on the ip though.
>well I've tried with just putting my laptop behind my modem and using
>the PPoE software in XP and it starts fine and has the full speed
>continuesly, and when I connect the m0n0wall box on it then the
>connection always drops speed or just resets. I'm not sure weither
>windows sends LCP packets or not, but I have had the problem always when
>I checked the log and it told me something about LCP so I suspect it has
>something to do with it.

Is your DSL modem in bridge mode or capable of running in bridge mode?
Brand & model# would help also. I had the exact same problem with the
SpeedStream 5200 until switching it into bridge mode.

>I also made my provider check the quality of the link and they say there
>is nothing wrong it either.

It's been my experience (especially in this area) that the ISP will tell
you that even if the line has been cut ;-)
taharka

Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.