[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Christophe De Coninck <god8y at rds dash clan dot be>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] PPoE and LCP problems
 Date:  Thu, 07 Jul 2005 22:38:04 +0200
On Thu, 2005-07-07 at 19:27, taharka wrote:

> Christophe De Coninck wrote:
>

> >>There seems to be a problem with your email program - there are two
> >>copies on the list.  One is more than enough unless you have more
> >>information to add.
> >>
> >>Also, a very bad idea to send in your IP and login details - you
> >>should ***** them out before sending to public mailing list (because
> >>we do not know how many hax0rs read this list, and people having
> >>trouble often revert to "allow all from any to any" for testing which
> >>will let the hax0rs in).
> >>
> >>To your query: Does it work using other devices/applications in place
> >>of m0n0? ie: have you had it working with another device previously?
> >>What makes you think that it is LCP causing the problem (I believe my
> >>ISP doesn't respond to LCP either, but m0n0 works flawlessly here).
> >>
> >>What (if any) other changes to your system did you make between
> >>removing the device that worked and replacing it with m0n0?
> >>
> >>Sorry, but the log entry you sent in just showed the connection
> >>dropped and what appeared to be a successful reconnect - we could not
> >>see what happened before the connection dropped, nor what happened
> >>afterwards.
> >>
> >>--cheers
> >>gm
> >>

> >Hey,
> >there was a small problem with the emailprovider so I'm sorry for having
> >it posted twice, I did forgot to put *** on the ip though.
> >well I've tried with just putting my laptop behind my modem and using
> >the PPoE software in XP and it starts fine and has the full speed
> >continuesly, and when I connect the m0n0wall box on it then the
> >connection always drops speed or just resets. I'm not sure weither
> >windows sends LCP packets or not, but I have had the problem always when
> >I checked the log and it told me something about LCP so I suspect it has
> >something to do with it.
> >

> Is your DSL modem in bridge mode or capable of running in bridge mode?
> Brand & model# would help also. I had the exact same problem with the
> SpeedStream 5200 until switching it into bridge mode.

It is an alcatel speedtouch home modem wich is running in bridge mode
(so monowall does the PPoE login).
I never tested it with running the alcatel speedtouch home modem without
running it in bridge mode because I then have to fiddle around with 2
different firewalls for the server behind monowall.

> >I also made my provider check the quality of the link and they say there
> >is nothing wrong it either.
> >

> It's been my experience (especially in this area) that the ISP will tell
> you that even if the line has been cut ;-)

Well they don't see that the line has been cut, because it doesn't
disconnect me always, it just sits there for 5minutes or less with 0kB/s
and then suddenly it's back up again at 330kB/s.

> taharka
>
> Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A.

Christophe De Coninck | Zarek K

http://www.zarekk.be
mailto: info at zarekk dot be mailto: god8y at rds dash clan dot be