[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  Peter at lboro dot ac dot uk, M at lboro dot ac dot uk
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper question & m0n0wall beginner remarks
 Date:  Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:49:10 +0100
Hi,

> The traffic shaper unfortunately didn't work for me. I used the "magic
> shaper" but still one client in the LAN can bring down the others by
> downloading/uploading something. I would like to give equal bandwidth

you have to make sure you set your download and upload
speeds properly - if you set them hogher than real value,
you'll face problems. if you set them at the real value,
you'll get problems. best to set them to around 10% lower
than they really are.

Also, if that machine is still hitting the network badly, you
need to drop the priority of whatever protocol they are using.
yes, if others are using the same protocol they will also be
lower...but they'll all be evenly shared

alan