[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Mee <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: NTP
 Date:  Mon, 11 Jul 2005 13:51:56 -0700
> If there is no easy way (right now) to add NTP support in a way that
> works for (mostly) everyone then I'd agree with leaving it out.

When I added NTP / msntp to m0n0wall (with lots of help I hasten to
add!) way back when, I looked at what was involved in 'fixing' msntp to
work as a server with XP, including a brief email correspondence with
its author.

Bottom line was it was just a few lines of code to hack a fix in. XP at
the time was asking the wrong question (or misidentifying itself as a
server? I don't remember the details), but it was pretty obviously wrong
and hence pretty obviously XP and hence fairly easy to work around. (All
of this could be determined using the debug flags of msntp itself and
grep'ing the source code - no compilation required).

The author (quite reasonably) declined to hack it and I ran out of
time/expertise. However, my guess is anyone with basic C skills and the
inclination could work it out fairly easily and provide a patch to
Manuel.  I also wonder if XP has been fixed to do the right thing by now
(this was prior to SP1 or SP2). I did test msntp with various win32 NTP
clients at the time and it worked as expected (disclaimer: I'm not a
time junkie - within a few secs was plenty accurate for me and it was
always better than that!).

THe more inquisitive amongst you can try running msntp as a server via
exec.php and test it out and report back. If indeed it does work well
enough (Fred's comments elsewhere notwithstanding) with more recent XP
releases, you could then patch it into the startup via the config.xml
file per usual.

cheers, michael
www.socalfreenet.org