 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Traffic shaper question & m0n0wall beginner remarks
 Date:  Sat, 9 Jul 2005 16:18:10 +0200
>you have to make sure you set your download and upload
>speeds properly - if you set them hogher than real value,
>you'll face problems. if you set them at the real value,
>you'll get problems. best to set them to around 10% lower
>than they really are.

The magic shaper does that automatically.

>Also, if that machine is still hitting the network badly, you
>need to drop the priority of whatever protocol they are using.
>yes, if others are using the same protocol they will also be
>lower...but they'll all be evenly shared

But I have no way of knowing what ports they are using. And most likely its
port 80, so I can't do anything. Traffic is obviously not evenly shared. I
figure it can't be shared evenly if you don't tell the shaper which clients
there are in the LAN. Sure enough the traffic shaper won't find this out
automatically.

Peter
mymail - der unschlagbare und kostenlose E-Mail-Dienst der Schweiz!
http://mymail.ch/?redirect=9999
Bei uns finden Sie trendige Geschenkideen und Wohnaccessoires!
http://mymail.ch/?redirect=1610