[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Jeff Ellen <tgje underscore uiuc at yahoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Speed/Overhead Question
 Date:  Wed, 13 Jul 2005 16:52:19 -0700 (PDT)
Hi there-
I've set up a m0n0wall, and haven't used it much, but
it seems like it should do everything I would need,
but my question has to do with the speed.

Does anyone know how much overhead m0n0wall uses?  For
example, using m0n0wall as a bridge, how does
throughput compare to having a simple switch or hub
instead (with no m0n0wall at all)?

I would think
there has to be some overhead if m0n0wall is examining
each packet that goes trhough.  I realize an exact
answer would depend on the specific hardware used to
run m0n0wall, but I would like to know any ballpark
answer anyone might have to help, or if they know what
hardware that would help too.  For example, if I am
using m0n0wall with 100Mbps ethernet cards, and with
regular hardware hubs/switches I get 60Mbps
throughput, I would like to see monowall 59Mbps or
58Mbps throughput, as opposed to 50Mbps or 10Mbps,
etc.

I've looked around through this list, the FAQ, and the
'net and been unable to find an answer. But it would
seem to me that this would be a concern for others as
well, useful to know.
Thanks,
-Jeff

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs