[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dave Evans" <dave dot whangarei at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Peter Allgeyer" <allgeyer at web dot de>
 Cc:  "Monowall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] How to track a changing external IP to access thewebGUI
 Date:  Tue, 19 Jul 2005 21:18:30 +1200
Peter,

Thanks for your comments - working on it as you read this :)

> Am Samstag, den 16.07.2005, 19:57 +1200 schrieb Dave Evans:
>> I do use a dynamic dns service (www.dyndns.org) to maintain a
>> current record of my home IP through one of their free domain
>> names but where would I put the DynDNS domain name into Monowall,
>>  to allow it to automatically have a rule that points to my current IP ??

> Not possible and somewhat risky. If your IP changes and the DNS-Server
> m0n0wall uses has cached the old entry, it's possible that another user
> has access to your WebGUI. Since this GUI is also protected by a
> password, this might be acceptable. So I think, we can discuss including
> DNS names in rulesets for next version of m0n0wall (if the filter code
> accepts such a syntax - pf for example does [1]).

If you were considering the ability to allow DNS names in rulesets, would
the use of (optional) permitted MAC addresses per domain name decrease the
security risk or just be an increase in the configuration overheads with no
real advantage ?

Cheers

Dave