[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Braden McGrath" <braden at big dash geek dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Problem with WRAP.1E-2 (3 LAN / 1 miniPCI) 128MB boards
 Date:  Tue, 19 Jul 2005 14:19:37 -0400
{
I returned the WRAP board to the supplier as defective and obtained a
replacement.  I installed the replacement and it exhibited the same
behavior after a few days.  Does anyone have any idea what the problem
is?  I suspect heat may be the issue.  I have the board installed in the
vendor's aluminum case and it gets warm to the touch.  It is in a room
that is kept about 76 degrees F.
}

Unlike everyone else, I doubt it is the heat.  I've got a soekris 48xx
in the same sort of box.  The room it is in is ~85-90F in the summer,
and quite humid too.  On top of the soekris sits a KVM, so there's not
even a lot of air circulation.

It will pass 4mbit at/near wire speed without an issue, and I haven't
had it crash since 1.2b5 was giving me issues.  These embedded-type
systems are made to run with no active cooling and just put up with the
heat...