[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Dave Evans" <dave dot whangarei at gmail dot com>
 To:  "Monowall List" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  How to track a changing external IP to access the webGUI
 Date:  Sat, 16 Jul 2005 19:57:22 +1200
Hi.

New to Monowall and in the process of carefully setting up access for those that will access the
webGUI first before heading for what the ordinary users will need.

Monowall is set up alongside our current live gateway and is intended if all goes well to replace it
as the main gateway into our network.

My query is:

As an administrator who requires the ability to make changes to Monowall from home on occassion, I
need to define my home IP to the Firewall/Rules section.

This has been done and it works, however, although I am on a broadband connection, the IP of my home
firewall changes from time to time. (The ADSL modem at home is in a "half-bridge" mode that
organises what the DHCP supplied address will be from my ISP, then passes it through to the actual
firewall I run).

I have done some trawling through the FAQ's etc but cannot find how to get Monowall to automatically
track the external IP I may have been changed to.

I do use a dynamic dns service (www.dyndns.org) to maintain a current record of my home IP through
one of their free domain names but where would I put the DynDNS domain name into Monowall, to allow
it to automatically have a rule that points to my current IP ??

As a workaround I have access to a W2K Remote Desktop session that allows me to go into the W2K box
and access the Monowall box from the LAN to change the firewall rule that identifies what my current
external IP is but that can really only be considered a short-term solution.

The Monowall WAN IP is a static IP from our provider for work.

Regards,

Dave