[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "PF: m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at in dash genius dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Anyone with experience of using Monowalls captive portal in a Hotspot solution?
 Date:  Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:12:48 -0700
> One problem we had was the authentication/authorization of
> the AP, not the  final user. When one single user behind
> an AP got authenticated, all users on this AP got granted access.

This sounds like an issue with the *type* of Access Point or the way it
was connected.

I can see this happening if the m0n0wall machine was on the WAN port of
a NAT access point.  I could also see this happening on some bridged
style access points.

Another possibility is if the access point has some sort of http proxy
on it.  The http requests would come from the access point instead of
the client.

M0n0wall's captive portal must see a unique IP address (and MAC) for
each client on the same subnet as the m0n0wall interface where the
captive portal is enabled.

I have used m0n0wall's captive portal with several different NAT type
access points and it works as intended.

-Kevin