[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Sending Email from m0n0 lan to m0n0 lan - sort of
 Date:  Fri, 22 Jul 2005 11:15:19 -0400
On 7/22/05, Tim Brewer <T dot Brewer at beth dot school dot nz> wrote:

> It appears that for any domain we host ourselves, that we cannot email from
> LAN1 to LAN2.

For the same reason you can't get to the sites without having a DNS
override, the MX for the domains points to the public IP's.  There
isn't any easy way to work around that with simple overrides, AFAIK.
Best option would be to run DNS on the internal servers and maintain a
full copy of the external DNS with the appropriate private IP's
instead of public ones.

Alternatively, there are some hacks in Exchange you could use to
accomplish some of what you're after, but hosting the entire DNS
internally is the only really good way to accomplish exactly what you
want.  Or if you can find something about the Windows hosts file
supporting MX records (a quick google turned up nothing for me) that
would also be a viable alternative.

-Chris