[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] VPN tunnel between two monowalls
 Date:  Fri, 22 Jul 2005 12:15:39 -0400
On 7/22/05, Karsten dot Thomsen at smg dot dk <Karsten dot Thomsen at smg dot dk> wrote:

> Hi all
>
> No the monowall isn't the default gateway at work, but shouldn't I be able to
> access all servers on my work Lan from home Lan
> without the monowall being the default gateway there ?
>
> I can on other VPN systems

Not without a route you can't, with any VPN setup (unless the other
VPN's are dropping you into the LAN IP space and doing proxy ARP,
which is never the case with a site to site tunnel).  When you attempt
to talk to the servers, they get the packets from you, then send their
replies through their default gateway.  Their default gateway doesn't
know your network is on the other side of m0n0wall.  It's probably
passing the replies out to the Internet, falling back to its default
route.  Regardless of where they go, they don't go to the right place
without that route.  Add it, it'll work then.

-Chris