[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] WRAP heat concerns vs Soekris
 Date:  Sun, 24 Jul 2005 18:02:28 -0400
On 7/24/05, Steve Meyer <smeyer at socal dot rr dot com> wrote:
> I am really concerned with all this chatter about the WRAP boards and
> heat.
>
> I am scheduled to be in San Jose next week to meet with the MiniBox
> people on tis product for use in an enbedded OS/AP project we are
> developing. How serious is this concern? Should I be using the
> Soekris board instead?

I've personally never had any heat issues with WRAP boards and I have
about a dozen in production in various environments that aren't well
climate controlled (i.e. a closet that serves as a server room in a
small business and doesn't have good ventilation, 80-85 degrees F
isn't unusual).

But they do seem to be far more likely to have heat issues than the
Soekris boards.  I've been on the Soekris tech list for several years
and the only heat issues I can recall have been with 4801's with
laptop hard drives.  WRAP heat issues come up on this list pretty
frequently, and I don't ever recall a Soekris heat issue on this list.

The WRAP is essentially the same board as a 4801 minus the PCI slot,
so I would lean towards the tight fitting case as the biggest issue
(though it could be board design or any number of other things, I'm
only guessing).  I haven't compared the screw holes to see if they
fit, but you might be able to eliminate those issues by using a WRAP
board in a Soekris case.

-Chris