[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Pascal Gaudette <pascal underscore gaudette at yahoo dot ca>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Colour me impressed! Plus a question...
 Date:  Mon, 25 Jul 2005 10:11:09 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

Just wanted to send a quick note of thanks for an
impressive piece of software!  I'd been running my
firewall using 4.11-RELEASE on an old celeron box, and
the whine of the old WD hard drive was really getting
to me.  So after finding out about M0n0wall, I got
myself a CF-IDE adapter and am now running whisper
quiet on a basic two interfaces configuration of 1.2b9
using an old 16MB CF card.

Installation was painless, fit and finish on the
WebGUI is wonderful, and I can't believe how small it
is!  Will try soon to do more complex stuff (eg DMZ)
with it.

Now on to an off-topic (but related) question, which I
hope some here will have experience with and reply
off-list.  Has anyone here tried to run a laptop from
a CF card?  Not a firewall, but a client box with X11,
OpenOffice, Mozilla, etc?  I'll be taking a laptop to
West-Afica soon, and I'm thinking about swapping the
internal HD for a CF card, and using external storage
(eg USB HD or Flash, CD-RW) only as needed.  My goal
is to increase reliability and battery life.  Most
useful stuff found so far:

http://staff.washington.edu/gray/KnoppixCFguide.html
http://linuxdevices.com/articles/AT8275095591.html

I wish there was a FreeBSD equivalent to m0n0wall for
this, but I don't think using FreeBSD's too realistic
at this point - I'm open to suggestions though.  And
if you've done anything like this, I'd love to hear
from you.

Again, thanks to the m0n0wall developpers for a great product!

--
Pascal Gaudette <pascal underscore gaudette at yahoo dot ca>

http://mail.yahoo.com