[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Seth Martin" <SethM at turbinegenerator dot com>
 To:  "alan walters" <alan at aillweecave dot ie>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Dual Wan
 Date:  Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:48:05 -0400
I'm not quite sure what you mean here.  The data center's primary host
is a fiber connection to Time Warner, our office south of there is on a
Sprint T1, The terminal server, data server, email server, CRM etc, all
are in the data center.  Because of the way the accounting system works
they all use terminal server to access the accounting system.  Problem
is sprint's route to the data center (200 miles north mind you) is
averaging over 200ms somedays into the 4-500's which is horrid for using
a RDP connection for data entry.  We want to add a time warner cable
modem to this office so we can route just the terminal server, and maybe
web browsing also, over the cable, mostly due to its 3 hops to the data
server and 30-50ms latency.  I guess the only option is going to be
adding a second m0n0wall for the cable, making a second local gateway,
and routing the terminal server users over that.  It just would have
been nice to be able to dynamically route any RDP and HTTP traffic over
the other gateway.

Is there any piece of hardware perhaps I could put between the network
and the monowall to do this for me?  The productivity gain justifies a
few hundred dollars in hardware, so something too expensive would get
dropped by management.