[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  cfactor <cfactor at usrsbin dot net>
 To:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] OT: AP Recommendations
 Date:  Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:02:52 -0700 (PDT)
I have no experience with the dlink AP.  I personally am using the
infamous linksys WRT54G.  It doesn't support 802.11a, however, if that's
something you need.  The attractiveness of this unit is that it's
cheap($30) and there are many different hacked firmwares for it.  I'm
using HyperWRT which trys to stay with the default linksys fw but adds a
bit of extra feature.  One of the most useful features of most firmwares
is the ability to boost the signal.  The linksys default fw sets the
signal strength much lower than the hardware can actually handle.  You
might be violating the FCC regulation if you configure it too high.

It also allows you to set the channels all the way up to 13.  If you're
using channels 12 or 13, again, you're in violation of FCC.

I personally don't use any of its firewall features.  I'm only using it as
a wireless AP and handling all of the firewall stuff on m0n0wall.  It's
also on a separate network from my other home machines.

___

John

Prefer not to receive HTML mail? Click here.