[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Vince Van De Coevering <vpv at figaros dot com>
 To:  'Justin Ellison' <justin at techadvise dot com>, "'m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch'" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] OT: AP Recommendations
 Date:  Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:16:16 -0700
> So it finally cooled off enough to get up into the attic yesterday, to
> try to find a way to wire the upstairs to the downstairs and hide the
> cable that is running across the hallway and down the stairs.  Baby #1
> is due 8/15, so that CAT5's lifetime is very limited ;-)
>
> Long story short, noggings are the death of me, there's just no way to
> get CAT5 down the wall without me spending more than I would on a
> wireless solution.  Security isn't an issue for me, as I'll have an
> OpenBSD firewall running authpf behind the AP.
>
> I came across the DLink DWL-7100AP.  It looks nice, provide 802.11a
> backhaul/bridge, and 802.11b/g access point capability simultaneously.
>
> Anyone have any opinions on this unit, or recommendations for
> something
> similar?

Just make sure you get a unit with WPA or WPA2 or your neighbors could
easily share your signal.  Tom's Hardware recently hosted an article
on how to break into a WEP protected wireless network.

I'm using a Proxim ORiNOCO AP-4000 and it covers both floors in
my 2400 sqft home delivering a strong signal in every room.

I bought a second unit (in case signal didn't cover both floors) but do
not need it.  I'll let it go cheap ($250 + shipping)

Since this is the m0n0 list you could always add a card to you m0n0
and have it deliver the a/b/g signal too.

Vince Van De Coevering
IT Manager
Figaro's Italian Pizza, Inc.
503-371-9318 x216