[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Can't connect to outside VPN
 Date:  Thu, 28 Jul 2005 20:42:51 -0400
On 7/28/05, Mike Razavi <mike at havepc dot com> wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Honestly I don't know exactly what kind of VPN I am using. Originally I
> thought there is only one kind of VPN out there.
>
> The outside VPN service is from a Windows 2003 Small Business Server. I
> simply created a VPN through Routing and Remote Access application. I am
> currently looking under ports section of this application and I see the
> VPN connections as "WAN Miniport (PPTP) (VPN4-#).

ok, it's PPTP.  given the below, that's irrelevant at this point though.

> I can establish the connection from my LAN to this VPN but can't have
> full access to the drives! I have tried this from two different LANs and
> I got access to everything so I know the VPN is fine from the Server
> Side.

your local firewall has absolutely nothing to do with what you can or
can't access on a remote VPN if you can connect successfully.  You're
probably missing the appropriate DNS on this particular connection,
assuming you can't connect by hostname.

I'd try to ping the server by its private IP, then try to ping it by
hostname.  If the former works and the latter does not, you have a
name resolution issue, probably because you're missing the correct DNS
entries.

Regardless, this is a client configuration issue, not a m0n0wall issue.

-Chris