[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Jeroen Visser" <monowall at forty dash two dot nl>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Maximum No. of Interfaces.
 Date:  Fri, 29 Jul 2005 11:38:38 +0200
Hi Ppl,

After browsing around on the m0n0.ch/wall site and the mailing list I've decided
to put a question here.

I was wondering what the maximum amount of interfaces is that m0n0wall supports.
I'm planning to combine 3 Linux gateways into one m0n0wall firewall (with a spare
on the shelf). We currently have about 12 connections to our main site and I
wondered if I could put them all on one machine with m0n0wall.

I know that my Motherboard (An intel with 3.0 Ghz CPU and 512 MB of ram, booting
from CF) only supports six, so I ordered a whole bunch of quad network cards
(Intel based again) to stick in the m0n0wall.

6 times 4 leaves me with 24 interfaces, gives me a few to spare in the future.
Is this possible ? I know linux supports it so I would be surprised if m0n0wall
doesn't. If it does not support it, I have to fall back to linux again, without
IPsec support etc build in.....

I'd rather use m0n0wall.

The traffic on the wall is going to be severe. There a three subnets which are to
communicate with one an other over 1000 Mbit. (ISCSI SAN)
Is it feasible, has anyone ever tried it and what are the experiences.
In regard of the ISCSI connections, does m0n0wall support Jumbo Packets ?
(The cards do, but that's a whole other layer ;-)

Anyway, info would be appreciated and I'll share my info when I finally have my
SUPER m0n0wall running. (if ever....)

--
Kind Regards,
Jeroen Visser.