[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Maximum No. of Interfaces.
 Date:  Fri, 29 Jul 2005 09:17:33 -0400
On 7/29/05, Jeroen Visser <monowall at forty dash two dot nl> wrote:

> The traffic on the wall is going to be severe. There a three subnets which are to
> communicate with one an other over 1000 Mbit. (ISCSI SAN)
> Is it feasible, has anyone ever tried it and what are the experiences.
> In regard of the ISCSI connections, does m0n0wall support Jumbo Packets ?
> (The cards do, but that's a whole other layer ;-)

missed this part before my last reply.

it should support jumbo frames just fine, but the option to enable
that isn't in the GUI.

with the kind of traffic you're talking about pushing, you're going to
slaughter your PCI bus long before you exhaust anything else.  You
didn't mention what kind of motherboard you're planning to use, but
unless it has one PCI bus per PCI slot and all PCI-X slots (not
likely), you're going to have issues pushing lots of traffic through
four gig interfaces per PCI slot.  From the sounds of it, you probably
don't even have PCI-X slots, and probably have one or two PCI buses.
At ~133 MBps per PCI bus, that's 1056 Mbps, or just one half duplex
gig interface per PCI bus (at best).  If you have 24, needless to say,
you aren't going to get the kind of throughput you're after.

-Chris