[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Eric Hilden" <eric at linkednetworks dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  [m0n0wall] Routing/Networking Problem
 Date:  Sat, 30 Jul 2005 16:16:10 -0500
I don't know if m0n0wall supports what I need it to do but this is what I
have been trying.  This will be lengthy so bear with me.

System
500mhz CPU, 256Mb of RAM, Adaptec QFE 4 port 10/100 card, on board Intel
10/100 on Tyan motherboard.
I have 5 interfaces all together.

WAN = fxp0 on motherboard
LAN = de0 QFE card left for console port @ 192.168.1.1
OPT1= de1 which what I am trying to route.

Ok here is my goal for routing.

I have a WAN link setup between a Cisco Router and m0n0wall.

M0n0wall WAN = 66.28.212.14  /30
Cisco =               66.28.212.13  /30

The link between these two is fine.

Now I am trying to route 2 subnets to the WAN interface which I get the
problem, route already exists via static routes.

Does m0n0wall support multiple IP's for an interface? I was trying to add
the two subnets I want routed to OPT1 through the exec command but I don't
think it will work.

These are my two subnets: 66.28.212.96-127 /27  and 66.28.212.128-191 /26

So one of my goals was to have OPT1 with 66.28.212.97 and 66.28.212.129 but
I don't think that is possible currently in m0n0wall; therefore I tried
setting up one subnet per interface.

OPT1 66.28.212.97
OPT2 66.28.212.129

Then when to do the static routes to the WAN interface I setup the
Destination as 66.28.212.14 /30 for OPT1, but it won't allow me to add a
second route to the WAN interface for OPT2.

I'm assuming this isn't impossible as you could do it under FreeBSD no
problem using alias's for multiple IP's to an interface. I just understand
why it doesn't allow multiple routes to an interface for now. I have
searched through as much of the mailing lists and FAQ's as possible before
posting here so I appreciate any help if I have missed any links.

I am looking at putting 10 m0n0wall boxes into a production environment for
a small WISP if this is successful with the test box and making a large
donation to m0n0wall. I am also beginner programmer and have a basic know
how of BSD and fairly tech savvy individual and would like to add some
contributions.

One solution or feature I was looking at to add to m0n0wall wall for other
commands but I have not fully explored the code yet was to enable multiple
ip's to an interface and multiple routes routing.

If anyone could give me some more details on how m0n0wall pulls it's info
from /www and config.xml that would be appreciated.