[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Josh Simoneau" <jsimoneau at lmtcs dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Is my Proxy ARP working?
 Date:  Mon, 1 Aug 2005 17:02:06 -0400
You don't need to activate proxy arp, but you do need to add firewall
rules just like anything else you NAT.

I personally prefer using 1:1 NAT with proxy arp, as you do not have to
NAT individual ports once that is configured, just create rules in the
firewall. However, this is really only ideal if you want to map a single
WAN address to a single server, not for NATing a public IP to several
different servers.

Often times ISPs will not update the ARP caches on their routers as
often as you might like them to, so you might have to power cycle any
CSU/DSU/ISP-owned-equipment, or call them and have them clear the ARP
cache on their upstream router. If the ARP cache is stale you won't
properly be able to associate these other public IP addresses with your
m0n0wall.

Regards,
Josh Simoneau