[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Routing/Networking Problem
 Date:  Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:36:03 -0400
On 8/1/05, Eric Hilden <eric at linkednetworks dot com> wrote:
> My firewall rules are currently * * * for all interfaces setup. I'm assuming
> this allows all traffic. Still doesn't work for me for seeing other subnets.
>

> So if I am understanding you correctly, should I do the following?

no, I told you to leave it as is with one subnet on OPT1 and one on
OPT2.  Though bridging will work too.

> Make OPT1 a bridge with the WAN interface. Then plug my OPT1 port into a
> switch from where I have the subnets coming from. Then I just have one
> interface but then what do I bind for addresses as both of these subnets
> currently have customers on them and their gateways cannot change. How then
> can I bind the IP's to an interface if it is a bridge?

You don't bind any IP's to that interface, you bind them to the Cisco.
 m0n0wall is invisible in that setup.  Like this -
http://m0n0.ch/wall/docbook/examples-filtered-bridge.html

> How will the subnets
> then now where to go or the gateway for that matter?

they'll still have a gateway IP on their subnet, it'll just be on the
Cisco if you're bridging.

Since you have a sufficient number of interfaces, unless you really
need both subnets on the same broadcast domain, you would be better
off using OPT1 and OPT2.

-Chris