[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Is my Proxy ARP working?
 Date:  Mon, 1 Aug 2005 21:43:01 -0400
On 8/1/05, Donnie Crump <info at agarin dot com> wrote:
> If I reset the ip addresses in my IPSs router by using a test piece of
> hardware and then plug that IP into the Proxy ARP screen it seems that Proxy
> ARP is not updating my ISPs router cache to tell it to use that new piece of
> hardware for that IP/MAC.

Exactly as the previous two posters said, that's your ISP's router's
fault.  Cisco's hold their ARP cache for 4 hours by default (and most
other routers are similar), so you have to clear the ARP cache (or
power cycle the router if you don't have CLI access).  The router will
not do another ARP request until that cache has timed out.

-Chris