[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall in the News.
 Date:  Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:25:55 +0100
Hi,

> Don't host the downloads at least.  This is what happens when you hit
> the front page of Slashdot and host downloads.  :)
> http://livebsd.org/216_135_66_12.png
>
> Granted it was a 600+ MB ISO, but still, bye bye T3.  :)

hmmm, I know that having it as a signed torrent would be quite nice....but
this got me into thinking.... could such large images not be sent out and
downloaded via some multicast system.

the multicast server would continually send out the image, forever looping
and , at the beginning it sends out a 'start of image' message. the multicast
client would simply be told which image to listen for (from that IP, or via SAP)
and , once it received the 'start of image' message, would save the incoming
image to file.  This way 50000 folk could download the 600mb file at the
same time and the server would only ever see.... lets say 1Mb or 2Mb or traffic
on its uplink.

perhaps someone has already tried this, perhaps noone has ever bothered. if
its the former..what are the issues. if its the latter - well, we could just have
our first very useful tool since FTP  ;-)

alan