[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Accessing NATed service from LAN - is it coming?
 Date:  Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:33:44 -0500
> So then to resolve my problem, I should use m0n0wall as a DNS server
> internally.
>
> What is the best way to do this?

Here is how I do it:

1) My clients use my local server (MS SBS2003) as their DNS (needed for
AD to work ;-)
2) My SBS2003 uses the m0n0wall as a forwarder.
3) My m0n0wall uses the ISP DNS as a forwarder.

Here is how it works:

1) Client queries the SBS for DNS resolution.
2) If the SBS has the domain in cache it responds. If not it queries the
m0n0wall.
3) If the m0n0wall has the domain in cache it responds. If not it
queries the ISP DNS.

I could use overrides if I needed to, but I don't at this point.

James W. McKeand