[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] what ADSL router/modem?
 Date:  Wed, 3 Aug 2005 14:11:34 +0100
> > I'm in the market for an ADSL modem/router to connect to
> this baby -
> > there are so many out there, i'm just wandering what you
> all use - any
> > you'd recommend - and any you'd warn me to stay away from!

> Alcatel SpeedTouch

Not unless you've got a static IP or subnet. The good ones (ST510, ST530)
will only work reliably with m0n0 in the UK in that scenario. I've never
been able to get a SpeedTouch working reliably in half-bridge mode at all.
(remember the UK is PPPoA not PPPoE*, so authentication needs to be done in
the modem, not with m0n0)

I assume from the original poster's email address he's in the UK, which
means he'll have the joys of PPPoA to contend with. There are 2 ways to go
about this:

1) If your ISP assigns you a static IP or a subnet, go for something cheap
like a Dynamode R-ADSL-04 (scan.co.uk are a good source for them - circa

(since you'll want m0n0wall to do it instead), so there's no point spending
more money than required. Alternatively, something like the Zoom X3 - circa

2) If your ISP assigns you a semi-dynamic IP by DHCP, then consider either
the ADSLNation X-Modem CE or the Dlink DSL-300T. Both will work in PPP half
bridge mode, but you'll have to make a small patch to m0n0 to force the
gateway to be updated properly. There are many posts by myself and a couple
of others in the mailing list archives about the patch required.

(* yes, I know PPPoE sometimes works in the UK, but it seems to be hit and
miss depending which exchange you're using)

Regards,

Chris