[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall in the News. (Multicast)
 Date:  Wed, 03 Aug 2005 16:06:00 +0200
The problem is that if you want to use multicast to distribute an image
you force the users to connect to a multicast enabled network.
As you said, this could be done easely on the MBone but how many people
on this list knows how to connect to the MBone ?

My 2 cents...

Daniele

A dot L dot M dot Buxey at lboro dot ac dot uk wrote:
> Hi,
>

>>This is frequently done when ghosting a ton of computers over a LAN.
>>Unfortunately it's not practical on the internet.
>

> hmm, from my experience of ghosting, you set up an image to be ghosted,
> you get all your clients to be ready to receive the image, then you click
> 'start' and the whole lot get ghosted in a one-off process. my awareness
> of several multicast papers is that the image could be sent out on continual
> round-robin - and, in fact, due to some extra features the clients could
> start saving the image at ANY point int he stream, not just from the start block
> - allowing massive files to be sent out as simple, continual 1 or 2mbit multicasts.
> if such a mechanism could be accepted by the main carriers (like is done for MBONE
> and BBC) then a single main multicast site could feed the world with all the
> big images which currently cause such wasteful bandwidth usage - or bring sites
> to knees when updates occur. anyway...the problems live higher up the internet foodchain,
> as it were, as plenty of people have proposed such systems
>
> alan

	best regards

Daniele Guazzoni
Senior Network Engineer, CCNA, CCNP

Ackersteinstrasse 203
CH-8049 Zurich
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
					William Jennings Bryan