[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <chris at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Static Routes
 Date:  Wed, 3 Aug 2005 18:08:12 +0100
I've never really investigated m0n0's capability for static routes before
and I'm wondering what sort of scenarios people are using the facility for?

I also wonder whether it might be possible to use the facility to create a
very limited dual-WAN system. Take the following scenario:
WAN1: 1024k/256k ADSL for general web usage /29 subnet
WAN2: 256k/256k synchronous DSL for VoIP usage /29 subnet

WAN1 connected to m0n0 in the normal way as WAN interface, static IP. LAN
PCs are either NAT or 1:1 NAT as required.

If one were to connect an ADSL modem/router (non-NAT) to OPT1 for WAN2,
assign one of the WAN2 IPs statically to m0n0 and another to the ADSL
modem/router, would it then be possible to route specific destination
networks via WAN2?

Static route might be defined as follows:
IF: LAN
Dest. Network: a.b.c.d (VoIP provider's IP range)
Gateway: e.f.g.h (WAN2's ADSL modem IP)

Does this stand any chance at all of working? If not, could some kind soul
explain why it wouldn't?

Regards,

Chris