[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  Jonathan Marriott <jon at kiwiuk dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] what ADSL router/modem?
 Date:  Wed, 3 Aug 2005 23:27:15 +0100
In message <42F0CF96 dot 3080609 at kiwiuk dot net>, Jonathan Marriott
<jon at kiwiuk dot net> writes

>half bridge mode.
If you're talking about the Safecom one
(http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?product_uid=48448)
then I have the original 4 port version - an Origo ASR-8400.

I had it working in half-bridged mode last year with no problems.  I
then acquired a /29 and switched to a full-bridge.  The only problem
with going to a full-bridge was that it didn't want to play ball, unless
I switched to PPPoE.  Luckily my exchange supports PPPoE (I gather BT
enabled it last summer - I thought it was country-wide):

01/01/1970 00:00:48> PPP1 PPPoE PADI Sent
01/01/1970 00:00:48> PPP1 PPPoE PADR Sent, AC-Name:BT_ADSL Service-Name:
Tag:0104 Value:F2 66 98 37 AF 8C 7E D8 3B 3A 39 3F 07 2F 67 5D
01/01/1970 00:00:50> PPP1 PPPoE PADS Received  Service-Name:
AC-Name:BT_ADSL Tag:0104 Value:F2 66 98 37 AF 8C 7E D8 3B 3A 39 3F 07 2F
67 5D
01/01/1970 00:00:50> PPP1 PPPoE Session is established.

Basically it's fine for half-bridge but if you want a full-bridge then
make sure you're on a PPPoE enabled exchange.

I originally had a D-Link DSL-504T but with the firmware at the time it
didn't support half-bridge mode and D-Link's support was useless and
they wouldn't even indicate whether they would be adding this in the
future.

HTH,

                                Neil.

>>>Alcatel SpeedTouch
>> Not unless you've got a static IP or subnet. The good ones (ST510, ST530)
>> will only work reliably with m0n0 in the UK in that scenario. I've never
>> been able to get a SpeedTouch working reliably in half-bridge mode at all.
>> (remember the UK is PPPoA not PPPoE*, so authentication needs to be done in
>> the modem, not with m0n0)
>>
>> I assume from the original poster's email address he's in the UK, which
>> means he'll have the joys of PPPoA to contend with. There are 2 ways to go
>> about this:
>>
>> 1) If your ISP assigns you a static IP or a subnet, go for something cheap
>> like a Dynamode R-ADSL-04 (scan.co.uk are a good source for them - circa

>> (since you'll want m0n0wall to do it instead), so there's no point spending
>> more money than required. Alternatively, something like the Zoom X3 - circa

>> 2) If your ISP assigns you a semi-dynamic IP by DHCP, then consider either
>> the ADSLNation X-Modem CE or the Dlink DSL-300T. Both will work in PPP half
>> bridge mode, but you'll have to make a small patch to m0n0 to force the
>> gateway to be updated properly. There are many posts by myself and a couple
>> of others in the mailing list archives about the patch required.
>>
>> (* yes, I know PPPoE sometimes works in the UK, but it seems to be hit and
>> miss depending which exchange you're using)
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Chris
>
>--

Neil A. Hillard                E-Mail:   neil at dana dot org dot uk
                               Web:      http://www.dana.org.uk/