[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing dot org>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  port triggering
 Date:  Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:27:33 +0200
Hi there,
is there any interest, idea, plan to implement port triggering in m0n0wall?

I think this is a fine feature if you have a not-so-secure spec to
fulfill, e.g. some users using bittorrent from time to time.

what stands against triggering?

My temporary workaround is to have a special ip on my "dirtnet" set up
getting the ports forwarded. So, when anybody wants to use p2p - they
have to set up their PC and switch over to the dirtnet.

Triggering would register the ip, if the app is connecting outside, and
then subsequently open up the corresponding ports to the triggering IP
for the time. It's a latest-takes-precedence thing - manageable with a
small crowd, though.

Thanks for the discussion

Thomas