[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tim Roberts" <monowall at dsslink dot net>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Squid & m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:23:38 -0400
Im sure this is more of a Squid question but would really appreciate some input from you guys. We
just got fed up with our old linux firewalls and swapped the whole netwoprk to m0n0wall. I probably
should have read a bit more before hand but too late now. We absolutly love m0n0wall and hats off to
the devlopers!

Whats the best way to run Squid now? We used to port forward outbound 80 and 443 to our squid server
sitting on the Internet side of our backbone via iptables and forward rules. Call me an idiot, (I
pretty much am when it comes to firewalling) but I do not see any ability in m0n0wall to forward
ports outbound or "redirect" rather. Is this a limitation in this incredible program or am I totally
missing the boat?

Our primary worry is we love squid, use it heavily (it saves are butt in bandwidth issues at times)
but it gets beat on so badly it goes down frequently (once or so per month) - most of the time, just
bad hdd's. Still cannot find reliable drives these days.....anyhow, I need the simplest way to
prepare how to get our network off of squid when it does go down and the same to swing the traffic
back at it when its revived. I was thinking we could use the m0n0walls gateway as the squid box and
just force it there, but that would leave squid routing public ip's to public ip's wouldnt it?

Any input at all is seriously appreciated!

Thanks
Tim Roberts