[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Andrew Cotter" <andrew dot cotter at somersetcapital dot com>
 To:  "Tim Roberts" <monowall at dsslink dot net>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Squid & m0n0wall
 Date:  Thu, 4 Aug 2005 14:33:54 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Tim Roberts [mailto:monowall at dsslink dot net]
Sent: Thursday, August 04, 2005 2:24 PM
To: m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
Subject: [m0n0wall] Squid & m0n0wall

Im sure this is more of a Squid question but would really appreciate some
input from you guys. We just got fed up with our old linux firewalls and
swapped the whole netwoprk to m0n0wall. I probably should have read a bit
more before hand but too late now. We absolutly love m0n0wall and hats off
to the devlopers!

Whats the best way to run Squid now? We used to port forward outbound 80 and
443 to our squid server sitting on the Internet side of our backbone via
iptables and forward rules. Call me an idiot, (I pretty much am when it
comes to firewalling) but I do not see any ability in m0n0wall to forward
ports outbound or "redirect" rather. Is this a limitation in this incredible
program or am I totally missing the boat?

Our primary worry is we love squid, use it heavily (it saves are butt in
bandwidth issues at times) but it gets beat on so badly it goes down
frequently (once or so per month) - most of the time, just bad hdd's. Still
cannot find reliable drives these days.....anyhow, I need the simplest way
to prepare how to get our network off of squid when it does go down and the
same to swing the traffic back at it when its revived. I was thinking we
could use the m0n0walls gateway as the squid box and just force it there,
but that would leave squid routing public ip's to public ip's wouldnt it?

Any input at all is seriously appreciated!

Thanks
Tim Roberts