[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Thomas Sprinzing <thomas at sprinzing dot org>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] port triggering
 Date:  Thu, 04 Aug 2005 22:12:20 +0200
Chris Buechler schrieb:

> the technical name for such a thing is uPNP.

ah well, thanx. now i know what that stands for - plug and pray.

>I've explained why

thx

> One comment on that reply, I'd say it's a huge risk in any
> environment, not just corporate.  Think worms, viruses, trojans, and
> other malware that could open a port in your firewall so outside
> attackers could talk directly to whatever junk is on your machine(s).

Well, i don't like the mule and friends anyway. But whe it comes to
bittorrent - the world looks a bit different. A lot of open source stuff
is distrbuted via torrent.

Basically - it's not only the nappy that bears the risk - it's a pebkac,
layer9 (as discussed somewaht earlier) or whatever you call it.

When i explained to my mate, that a) the world is evil, and your pc is
gettin the pox from it and b) the melody to money bro's might even be
worse...
...she just looked at me with her big brown eyes wide open...

Anyway - my lesson learnt is: they have to get burnt themselves.

In a corporate environment i would sure as hell stay away from this
stuff, as i stay away from every other product with "pnp" or
"professional" in its nametag.

So, for this kinda stuff i'll have peole buy some commodity thingies in
the future?

Thomas