[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Wyatt Draggoo <wyatt at draggoo dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DHCP problems on WAN side
 Date:  Thu, 4 Aug 2005 20:22:26 -0400
Hi folks,

I have used m0n0wall several times in the past, so I figured setting up a box for a cable modem
connection at our new apartment would be pretty straight-forward.

Well, of course not.

In short, the problem is that the WAN isn't getting an IP address.  Both of our laptops in the house
receive one, as does the Linksys wireless router (that I am relegating to an access point once this
is working).  The NICs for the LAN and WAN side are the same model, and I can connect on the LAN
side, so I don't think that's the issue.  I'm also using the same network cable for all of the
connections to rule out a faulty cable.

My process:

1) Remove power from the cable modem
2) Wait roughly 15 seconds
3) Unplug the network cable from the current device
4) Plug the network cable in to the device I am testing
5) Power the cable modem back up
6) Power on the device to test, if necessary (not necessary for the OS X or XP laptops, not sure if
it's necessary for m0n0wall, so I have if off when I plug it in, and then power it on)

I have also switched the LAN and WAN side NICs, so I know both NICs are working.

I spent nearly 4 hours on Sunday trying to figure out what simple, little thing I missed.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Wyatt