[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Aaron <lists at mycommunitynet dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Wireless WAN PPTP connection
 Date:  Mon, 8 Aug 2005 18:31:08 -0700
Just a question for those that may have attempted this. I am going to
be trying to set up a m0n0 box with a wireless card in order to access
my free, but authenticated university wireless. I am in the fringe
wireless range of the university and it would be beneficial to be able
to connect to the university or my provider (cable internet is always
going out and there are some things that we have to be on campus to
have access). I would like to see if monowall could help me out here.

1) I believe that this is possible, but can a monowall with a wireless
card use wireless as the WAN?
2) If yes, then can I connect to a PPTP connection as part of that WAN
connection?
3) Can I then NAT computers behind the wireless connection (the
computers are connected via the ethernet ports)?

I see PPTP as a connection method for the WAN. but in the docbook this
is specified as a "PPTP ADSL connection". What happens at my university
is you connect wirelessly and get an "internal" 172.address. Once you
log into an accessible PPTP server, you can then access the rest of the
university network and beyond. I'm not sure what the "local IP address"
and "remote IP address" fields would be set to or if these fields would
work for this.

I'm not actually there until mid-august, so I can't actually test it,
but thought it would be nice to know if sourcing the parts is worth a
shot.

Thanks!
Aaron