[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joe Nardone <jnardone at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: Watchguard hardware
 Date:  Sun, 7 Aug 2005 21:10:18 -0400
The Firebox II's are Pentium 200's or AMD K6-300's, and will run m0n0 well
if you can get a working image on the machine. :)

I have an older post on the subject (from Jan/Feb '05), but in a nutshell,
the FBII has an internal 44-pin laptop IDE connector and a jumper that can
be used to switch between booting the 8 MB built-in flash memory and the IDE
port (which will only boot HDDs, not CDROMs). Although it isn't readily
apparent, you can plug in a video card (into one of the 2 on-board PCI
slots; they are BACKWARDS and the "exterior" side of the card should face
the front of the box) and a PS/2 keyboard which lets you get into the
stripped-down BIOS; this is mostly useful for drive geometries.

The m0n0 version that you install MUST be a custom kernel with the psm0
(ps/2 mouse) detection/support removed; this probe hard-locks the box on
boot.

Basically, you end up with a sequence of: build a custom IMG with a custom
kernel, set up a boot drive, boot the hard-drive and copy the custom image,
flip the jumper and you're off. Once a working m0n0wall image is in the
flash, you can use the console serial port for initial setup.

I had moved from a FBII to a Nokia IP110 but just recently have been working
on getting my Firebox running 1.2b9 but have been sidetracked.

Joe