[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  jjoshua at comcast dot net
 To:  Devin Mudd <devin dot mudd at gmail dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Monowall with Vonage VOIP
 Date:  Fri, 05 Aug 2005 02:35:22 +0000
Here's my trafic shaper config.  I'm using an asterisk server (10.10.10.69) instead of an ATA but
it's the same thing...  Basically, anything to/from the server get's all of the bandwidth that it
needs.  Everything else shares the rest.

At least that's how I think that it's working...

	<shaper>
		<magic>
			<maxup></maxup>
			<maxdown></maxdown>
		</magic>
		<pipe>
			<bandwidth>310</bandwidth>
			<descr>Outbound</descr>
		</pipe>
		<pipe>
			<bandwidth>3500</bandwidth>
			<descr>Inbound</descr>
		</pipe>
		<queue>
			<targetpipe>0</targetpipe>
			<weight>1</weight>
			<descr>Out - All other</descr>
		</queue>
		<queue>
			<targetpipe>0</targetpipe>
			<weight>100</weight>
			<descr>Out - VOIP</descr>
		</queue>
		<queue>
			<targetpipe>1</targetpipe>
			<weight>1</weight>
			<descr>In - All other</descr>
		</queue>
		<queue>
			<targetpipe>1</targetpipe>
			<weight>100</weight>
			<descr>In - VOIP</descr>
		</queue>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<source>
				<address>10.10.10.69</address>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>out</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<iptos/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>Out - Asterisk</descr>
			<targetqueue>1</targetqueue>
		</rule>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<source>
				<any/>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>out</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<iptos/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>Out - All other</descr>
			<targetqueue>0</targetqueue>
		</rule>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<source>
				<address>10.10.10.69</address>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>in</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<iptos/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>In - Asterisk</descr>
			<targetqueue>3</targetqueue>
		</rule>
		<rule>
			<interface>wan</interface>
			<source>
				<any/>
			</source>
			<destination>
				<any/>
			</destination>
			<direction>in</direction>
			<iplen/>
			<iptos/>
			<tcpflags/>
			<descr>In - All other</descr>
			<targetqueue>3</targetqueue>
		</rule>
		<enable/>
	</shaper>
OK gang, here is another question that everyone has asked but I haven't seen
a single definitive answer to. I have a customer that we put behind a
M0n0Wall and when connecting their VONAGE PAP2 TA we get very spotty
performance. One time a call will work perfectly and then another it will
fail miserably. I need to get this up and running and I need some guidance.
We have the following setup.

+
+
(Linksys Cable Modem)

(Monowall-Wan)

(MonoWall-LAN)

(Linksys-5-port-Switch)
| |
| |
(PC) (Vonage PAP2)
DHCP STATIC

What do I need to do step-by-step from a config standpoint? Do I keep
magic-traffic shaper on? Do I need to create pipes? Do I need some shaping
rules, NAT rules? I know for some this works out of the box but I need
someone who knows this and that would help a lot. I spent 2 hours searching
the archives only to find more questions than answers. I know this software
is free but wow would this be cool if it were free and worked for our
particular application.

Thanks,