[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Joel <joellists at iwcenter dot com>
 To:  Wyatt Draggoo <wyatt at draggoo dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DHCP problems on WAN side
 Date:  Mon, 08 Aug 2005 10:24:07 -0400
Do you need to clone your MAC?  With my cable modem, the tech used my
notebook computer to setup.  When I hooked up my Linksys router to the
modem, I had to put the notebook's MAC in to the Linksys router under
the 'clone MAC address' page.

I notice Monowall has the same feature on the WAN page.

-- Joel

Wyatt Draggoo wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I have used m0n0wall several times in the past, so I figured setting up a box for a cable modem
connection at our new apartment would be pretty straight-forward.

> Well, of course not.
>
> In short, the problem is that the WAN isn't getting an IP address.  Both of our laptops in the
house receive one, as does the Linksys wireless router (that I am relegating to an access point once
this is working).  The NICs for the LAN and WAN side are the same model, and I can connect on the
LAN side, so I don't think that's the issue.  I'm also using the same network cable for all of the
connections to rule out a faulty cable.

> My process:
>
> 1) Remove power from the cable modem
> 2) Wait roughly 15 seconds
> 3) Unplug the network cable from the current device
> 4) Plug the network cable in to the device I am testing
> 5) Power the cable modem back up
> 6) Power on the device to test, if necessary (not necessary for the OS X or XP laptops, not sure
if it's necessary for m0n0wall, so I have if off when I plug it in, and then power it on)