[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Monowall with Vonage VOIP
 Date:  Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:06:59 +0100
> > Here's my trafic shaper config.  I'm using an asterisk server
> (10.10.10.69)
> > instead of an ATA but it's the same thing...  Basically, anything
> > to/from the
> > server get's all of the bandwidth that it needs.  Everything else
> > shares the rest.
> > At least that's how I think that it's working...

Looks like it. Out of curiosity, are you using vonage on asterisk? I was
under the impression that vonage were very funny about customers not using
the kit they supplied, and only that kit...

Might also be worth pointing out that your ruleset appears to give maximum
weight to all traffic in/out of the asterisk box - doesn't this cause
network problems for other users if/when you're doing software updates or
other net use on the asterisk box?

We run a number of Asterisk servers behind m0n0wall at client sites. As a
general rule, we install a cheapy 256/256 ADSL purely for voice traffic. I'd
strongly suggest this approach if you've got a very limited upstream
bandwidth since no amount of traffic shaping is going to give you more
bandwidth than physically available.

If you do have sufficient upstream bandwidth, the traffic shaping rules
suggested should work fine.

Regards,

Chris