[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall blocking pings
 Date:  Mon, 8 Aug 2005 23:33:52 -0400
On 8/8/05, Eric Hilden <eric at linkednetworks dot com> wrote:
> Everything works great from the LAN side getting out to the Internet and
> pinging other machines on the network in different subnets but I cannot ping
> anything on any interface except the WAN from outside of m0n0wall.

Of course you can't - it's NAT'ing everything, and isn't going to
allow anything to be routed back to its LAN side.

If you need routing in a setup like this (if you eventually plan to
replace the Linksys, I wouldn't do this) then enable advanced outbound
NAT without any NAT rules to disable NAT, and put a static route in
your Linksys (if those things are even capable, I don't recall
offhand) pointing the network to
(m0n0wall's WAN IP).  Then given the rules you already have, you'll be
able to ping and do whatever else you want on the LAN subnet.