[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Matchstick <matchstick at oofg dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge + Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:16:59 +0100
Dan Morin wrote:
> All-
>
> I apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but I could not find anything about it
in the archives.

> I have m0n0 wall setup with a 3rd NIC in a bridge configuration.  The goal was to put it in front
of my current firewall so that it can provide Traffic-Shaping/QoS without having to modify my
current network infrastructure.

> I have everything setup and traffic is flowing through the system.  However, It does not appear to
be shaping the traffic at all.  I have tried modifying the Pipe bandwidth so that it is very low and
saving/applying the settings, and yet it does not effect the rate at which data is transferred to
the Internet.  I have also tried enabling the Filtered Bridge setting as I though it may need to
pass traffic through the packet filter in order for Shaping to occur however that did not cause any
change.

> Is it possible to Shape traffic through the bridge?  If so, what am I missing?  The following is
my config (I have a 1280 Kbps symentrical fractional T1 connection):

<snip>

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if this has any bearing on your problems but it is
something I've been meaning to ask about for a while...

During the brief switch to FreeBSD 5.2 a problem was identified in 1.2b5
where if Traffic Shaping was enabled on a M0n0wall box using Filtered
Bridging then all the Firewall rules were ignored.

As a result in 1.2b6 Traffic Shaping was automatically turned off when
Filtered Bridging was enabled.
"fixed: filtering bridge doesn't filter while the traffic shaper is
enabled; traffic shaping for bridged links is disabled for the time
being though (see FreeBSD PR kern/78090)"
http://www.m0n0.ch/wall/beta.php

However in the shift back to FreeBSD 4.11 in 1.2b8 I'm not sure if this
change was removed to allow Filtered Bridging and Traffic Shaping to
coexist once more, since it doesn't seem to be mentioned in the change log.

So could this be the source of the problem ?

Paul
matchstick at oofg dot com