[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Justin Ellison <justin at techadvise dot com>
 To:  Dan Morin <DMorin at ABBCOInc dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Bridge + Traffic Shaper
 Date:  Tue, 09 Aug 2005 11:22:53 -0500
Dan,

When writing your rules in a shaping bridge configuration, write your
rules for the direction of inbound only.  Rules outbound when shaping on
a bridge never match.  Someone more versed in the intricasies of
m0n0wall can explain why, but it's been brought up on the list a few
times.  So, your WAN outbound rule can be re-written to be inbound on
the OPT1 (or whatever your bridged interface is named).

Try that and see if that fixes your issues.

Justin

On Tue, 2005-08-09 at 10:47 -0400, Dan Morin wrote:
> All-
>
> I apologize in advance if this has already been answered, but I could not find anything about it
in the archives.

> I have m0n0 wall setup with a 3rd NIC in a bridge configuration.  The goal was to put it in front
of my current firewall so that it can provide Traffic-Shaping/QoS without having to modify my
current network infrastructure.

> I have everything setup and traffic is flowing through the system.  However, It does not appear to
be shaping the traffic at all.  I have tried modifying the Pipe bandwidth so that it is very low and
saving/applying the settings, and yet it does not effect the rate at which data is transferred to
the Internet.  I have also tried enabling the Filtered Bridge setting as I though it may need to
pass traffic through the packet filter in order for Shaping to occur however that did not cause any
change.

> Is it possible to Shape traffic through the bridge?  If so, what am I missing?  The following is
my config (I have a 1280 Kbps symentrical fractional T1 connection):